Welcome to the South Coast ESD
Board of Directors
The South Coast ESD board consists of seven members representing Coos, Curry and Western Douglas counties. The board is elected by their respective communities to four year terms.
The board’s work is to set policies and provide guidance to the organization. Our board members also participate in the Superintendent committees working with staff on organizational projects.
MEET OUR BOARD
Corinne Potts – Board Chair
Corinne has been on the South Coast ESD board of directors since 2014 and represents Position 2/Zone 3 which covers the Coos Bay area.
Corinne attended Southwestern Oregon Community College, RICKS College (BYU – Idaho) and Western Oregon University. She has earned degrees and certificates in Childhood Education & Family Studies, Parenting Education & Early Childhood Home Visiting and Infant/Toddler Development.
She believes every person has worth and merit, from the children we serve, the parents who entrust us with their children, and the amazing teachers and support staff that get to play a vital role in helping children grow and develop in all areas of life. She has seen the impact that specialty placed supports have in shaping the minds and lives of children and their families. She truly feels that the work that is accomplished by SCESD is vital to the success of our communities and their ability to thrive and move forward into the future. Whether a child is struggling or excelling, all children need support and scaffolding to be successful, reach their individual goals and potential. What amazing possibilities lie before us as we come together with that goal in mind.
Corinne participates on various SCESD committees focusing on the budget, policies and overall governance of the district as well as serving as our current board vice chair.
John Buckley – Vice Chair
John Buckley has been on the South Coast ESD Board of Directors since March 2022, representing Position 1/Zone 4, Reedsport, Lakeside, and North Bend.
John earned his BS in microbiology at San Diego State University and has been a resident of North Bend since 2001. He is a 30-year veteran of the United States Coast Guard and has 30 years of experience in engineering, project management, and leadership. John is currently the Operations Manager at Arcadia Environmental in Coos Bay, Oregon.
John previously served as Board Chair on the North Bend School District Board of Directors and North Bend School District Budget Committee. John has also served on the North Bend Parks Committee and is an active North Bend Fire Department and North Bend Planning Commission member.
Fred has been on the South Coast ESD board of directors for seven years and recently finished his second term as board chair. He represents Position 6/At Large.
Fred received his BA in History-Social Studies Education at the College of St. Thomas in St. Paul Minnesota and has a MA in History from the University of Minnesota. He is still working on his Ph.D. in History also at the University of Minnesota.
He has worked with the SCESD and its service providers while gaining support for his adopted children with special needs. As a result, he has a strong desire to support the ESD and his community access to the same great opportunities.
Fred participates on several SCESD committees which have contributed to the growth and development of SCESD. He brings several skill sets and an open mind and looks forward to helping our students and districts for the next several years.
Billie has been on the South Coast ESD board of directors since 2017 and represents Position 3/Zone 2 which covers Bandon, Coquille, Myrtle Point, and Powers.
She has a BS from Memphis State University, MA from the University of Washington, and an MA in Education Administration from Cal State San Bernardino. Billie is a retired classroom teacher (grades 2-12), Reading Specialist, and was an Administrator for K-8 schools for 20 years in California and currently substitutes for the Bandon school district.
As a Board member, she says she will advocate for each child’s right to the best possible educational opportunities, a caring and supportive learning environment, and a proficiently run and well-organized Education Service District.
Billie participates on several SCESD committees, attends board trainings and community outreach activities.
Jackie Crook has been on the South Coast ESD board of directors for 18 years and has served as board chair and vice-chair. She represents Position 5/Zone 1B which represents from Gold Beach to Brookings in Curry County.
Jackie Crook lives in Pistol River Oregon and has been an educator for 50 years. As a classroom teacher, Jackie has dedicated herself to providing an engaging and relevant educational experience for the students, families, and community she supported. At the state level she has been elected as the President on the Board side of the Oregon Association of Education Service Districts, was a member of the Oregon School Boards Association Board, and is currently the zone lead 9 for Coos, Curry, and Douglas Counties for the Oregon School Boards Association.
Bruce has been on the South Coast ESD board of directors since 2017 and represents Position 4/Zone 1A which covers Gold Beach and Port Orford in Curry County.
Bruce has a BA in Social Work from Penn State, Elementary Teaching Certificate from Concordia University, a Masters in Special Education from National University, and a certificate in Child Behavior from California State.
He wants to bring something to the community and his ambition is to impart any knowledge he may have working with others to continue the greater work of South Coast ESD.
Bruce participates on several of the SCESD committees, volunteers at SCESD community events, and is a substitute teacher in the Bandon, Port Orford, and Gold Beach Districts.
Joanne is the newest member of the South Coast ESD board. She was appointed to fill position 7, zone at large, through June 2023. She earned her Associate degree in Early Childhood Education through Riverside City College in 1977, her B.S. in Education through (then) Western Oregon State College in 1983, and her Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership through Western Oregon University in 2022. She taught grades 1 through 5 during her teaching career. In 1989 Joanne received her real estate Principal Broker’s license. She and her husband have owned a variety of small businesses.
Her volunteer experiences include serving as mayor of Falls City (OR), as president of her religious congregation, as an Advisory Board member of the Small Business Development Center, and as president of the Community Coalition of Empire (CCE), where she is currently vice president.
Joanne strongly believes in the value of education and the South Coast ESD’s commitment to developing and providing equitable services and opportunities to all stakeholders. She believes that these offerings enhance and complement the educational programs of the ten school districts that the South Coast ESD serves, which ultimately strengthens our local communities.
Regular Board Meeting on September 12, 2023, starting at 6:00 PM. Due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 state-wide restrictions and in keeping with the efforts of social distancing to reduce the spread of the coronavirus/COVID-19, the meeting will be conducted via hybrid at 1350 Teakwood Ave. in Coos Bay and via Zoom at https://scesd-k12-or-us.zoom.us/j/89694661128.
PUBLIC INPUT: To sign up for public input, e-mail or call the Board Secretary at 541-266-3265 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to sign up for public input is 12:00pm the day of the meeting. Those signed up will be given an access code to the meeting.
Speakers may offer objective criticism of school operations and programs, but the board will not hear personal complaints concerning school personnel nor against any person connected with the school system. The board chair will direct the visitor to the appropriate means for board consideration and disposition of legitimate complaints involving individuals. (Board Policy BDDH)
Members of the public, parents, staff and students are encouraged to make their concerns know to the ESD and to give the ESD an opportunity to review those concerns and respond to them (Board Policy KL).
The complainant must follow the complaint procedure as outlined in administrative regulation Public Complaint Procedure KL-AR.
Commitment to Racial Equity
The South Coast ESD board is proud to commit to racial equity and passed the following proclamation on Tuesday, December 10, 2020. Resolution Committing to Racial Equity.
Board Minutes and agendas
- Board Meeting Agenda 9/12/23
- Board Retreat Agenda 8/19/2023 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 7/11/23 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 6/13/23 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 5/24/23 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 5/9/23 | Minutes
- Budget Meeting Agenda 5/3/23 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 4/11/23 | Minutes
- Meeting Agenda 3/14/23 | Minutes
- Meeting Agenda 2/21/23 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 2/14/23 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 1/10/23 | Minutes
- Special Board Meeting 12/19/22 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 12/13/22 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 11/8/22 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 10/11/22 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 9/13/22 | Minutes
- Board Retreat Agenda 8/13/22 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 7/12/22 | Minutes
- Board Meeting Agenda 6/14/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 6/14/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 5/10/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 5/10/22
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 5/9/22
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 5/9/22
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 4/22/22
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 4/22/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 4/21/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 4/21/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 4/12/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 4/12/22
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 4/8/22
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 4/8/22
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 3/29/22
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 3/29/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 3/8/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 3/8/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 2/10/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 2/10/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 2/8/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 2/8/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 1/11/22
- Board Meeting Minutes 1/11/22
- Board Meeting Agenda 12/14/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 12/14/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 11/23/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 11/23/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 11/9/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 11/9/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 10/12/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 10/12/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 9/14/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 9/14/21
- South Coast ESD Board Retreat Agenda 8/7/2021
- South Coast ESD Board Retreat Minutes 8/7/2021
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 7/27/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 7/27/21
- Finalist Forum Agenda 7/22/21
- Finalist Forum Minutes 7/22/21
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 7/20/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 7/20/21
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 7/19/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 7/19/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 7/13/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 7/13/21
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 7/12/21
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 7/6/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 7/12/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 7/6/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 6/9/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 6/8/21
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 6/9/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 6/8/21
- Special Board Meeting Agenda 5/20/21
- Special Board Meeting Minutes 5/20/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 5/11/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 5/11/21
- Budget Meeting Agenda 5/5/21
- Budget Meeting Minutes 5/5/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 4/13/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 4/13/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 3/18/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 3/18/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 3/9/21
- Board Meeting Minutes 3/9/21
- Board Meeting Agenda 3/3/2021
- Board Meeting Minutes 3/3/2021
- Board Meeting Agenda 2/9/2021
- Board Meeting Minutes 2/9/2021
- Board Meeting Agenda 1/12/2021
- Board Meeting Minutes 1/12/2021
- Board Meeting Agenda 12/8/2020
- Board Meeting Minutes 12/8/2020
- Board Meeting Agenda 11/10/2020
- Board Meeting Minutes 11/10/2020
- Board Meeting Agenda 10/13/2020
- Board Meeting Minutes 10/13/2020
- Board Meeting Agenda 10/2/2020
- Board Meeting Minutes 10/2/2020
- Board Meeting Agenda 9/8/2020
- Board Meeting Minutes 9/8/2020
- Board Agenda 8/1/2020
- Board Meeting Minutes 8/1/2020